Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tell All Tuesday September 6th, 2011

Pregnancy is hard.

Nursing a toddler is hard.

Keeping up with an almost 4yo is hard.

Crying everyday is not normal.

Sometimes you have to ask for help.




I am glad I realized that I was having some problems dealing with my moods, recognizing some troubling behaviors from a time when I was dealing with depressive episodes. (I never went for a diagnosis for depression, but took some classes that helped me move past my past a bit and learn to focus and manage myself a little better.)

I asked my doula/midwife assistant friend if there was such a thing as prenatal depression. I mean, Wikipedia doesn't know about it if there is! She said yes and sent me off to my naturopathic midwife.

Our course of action has been to see if addressing some possible deficiencies could be a culprit. I now take some supplements for Vitamin D, B6, and Omega 3 fish oil (something you should discuss with your care provider). Within a week I could feel things changing. I don't cry everyday. I have a *little* more patience. I could ask my friends and family to help me, without feeling so ashamed. They are my lifesavers.


This Tell All Tuesday was hard to write. No one likes to share that they don't have everything under control, or are having a hard time. But, I can personally tell you that sharing my problems has been a good thing, and I want others to know that they are not alone. If you are constantly at a loss for why you feel "this way," out of control, not managing yourself well, please speak up. There is always someone who cares, and there may be things that can help.



Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety during Pregnancy:
  1. Extreme fatigue combined with excessive sadness and crying.
  2. Extreme agitation and/or mood swings.
  3. Compulsive eating or inability to eat.
  4. Inability to enjoy the things that you used to enjoy before pregnancy.
  5. Disturbed sleep patterns, such as the need to sleep all the time or insomnia (neither being related to pregnancy).
  6. Panic attacks.
  7. Obsessive behaviors/irrational thought processes.



For more information on prenatal depression:
http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/health_wellness/energy_emotions/article/depression-pregnancy

http://www.thecradle.com/depressionduringpregnancy

http://pregnancyandbaby.sheknows.com/pregnancy/baby/Breaking-the-silence-on-prenatal-depression-116.htm


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Have you considered starting a page on wiki? Even if it is left incomplete... getting SOMETHING out there so other moms-to-be can find it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing and for being so brave with your honesty! I'm sure this post will help many other women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jorje - there needs to be more info. Let me know if I can do anything to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely, this is a subject that needs to be talked about, brought to light. Thank you for being willing to start and be part of the conversation. I feel you and agree that asking for help allows us to realize there is always someone who cares. Reaching out is so important... Thanks again, will share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sob* I think I need to speak to someone - but I also don't really want to for fear of it impacting on my homebirth plans. :/ But it's wonderful to know it's not all in my head. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Luschka- I wouldn't think getting help could hinder your homebirth! It would allow you to be fully present in your journey through pregnancy and really enjoy your birth experience! Not once did my midwife bring up any question to our plans to homebirth, just continues to be supportive! Find anyone that you know you can trust and start the conversation. It can only help.

    ReplyDelete