Sunday, February 26, 2012

I'm a Natural Parent - BUT... MacNCheese is Awesome.

Welcome to the "I'm a Natural Parent - BUT..." Carnival
This post was written for inclusion in the carnival hosted by The Artful Mama and Natural Parents Network. During this carnival our participants have focused on the many different forms and shapes Natural Parenting can take in our community.
***
Sure, I have recipes for some of the most delicious homemade macaroni and cheese around. Quality cheese, cream, butternut squash, quinoa pasta, toss with organic broccoli, finish it off in the oven...

But, at least once a month I want mac n cheese. From a box. I don't even want the "name-brand" version. Just the cheap@ss generic kind (though these days we eat the gluten free versions). Here are the totally not "natural" versions I still love even after everything I have learned about food.

"Fish Eye Stew"
2 boxes Mac N Cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 small bag of frozen peas
1 can of tuna in water; drained

Prepare mac n' cheese following box directions. Dump in peas and tuna. Bring back up to temp while stirring. Consume.

"Octopus Stew" (No, I don't know why they are both called stew.)

2 boxes Mac N Cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 small bag of frozen peas
1 hot dog per person

Prepare mac n' cheese following box directions. Dump in peas. While that is cooking, boil a small pot of water. Cut 2/3 up each hot dog creating 8 "tentacles". Skewer hot dog on a chopstick and dip tentacles into boiling water. Let curl and heat through, pushing down to spread tentacles. Serve on top of noodles.

And really, I don't even feel bad about serving these. I don't serve them all the time. They at least contain veggies and protein. And sometimes this mommy needs an easy dinner that is guaranteed to please and fill bellies to "sleep all night" levels.


***

I'm a Natural Parent — But … Blog CarnivalThis carnival was created by The Artful Mama and Natural Parents Network. We recognize that "natural parenting" means different things to different families, and we are dedicated to providing a safe place for all families, regardless of where they are in their parenting journeys.

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

12 comments:

  1. Lol. I've NEVER done 'shaped' food, but that octopus is awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm LOVING that octopus! Convenience foods (and take-out) are a necessity of making it through this stage of my family life. In my book, there's not a thing wrong with eating processed foods--if it helps your day to go better, it's a good thing!

    I also <3 MacNCheese. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually just add peas and call it good. Adding extra protein seems like to much work when I want the boxed stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha cool ideas, seriously though MAC and cheese from a box cures the soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son LOVES macaroni and wienies, so we have it from time to time as a treat. It really does cure the soul, and it's quick and easy to make when you are overwhelmed by everything else you need to do in a day. So yeah, it IS awesome! I've also tried home-made from scratch mac n' cheese and it just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally making "fish eye stew" some Friday in Lent! The kids will get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. zomg! I grew up on Fish Eye Stew, but we didn't have quite as cool of a name for it - we just call it macaroni casserole. Kieran would eat that stuff up every day if I was willing to so make it. And the Octopus Stew? The child would think he had died and gone to heaven. I am totally making it for our next date night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great post, and a good reminder that sometimes I need to be less focused on the kids always eating perfectly wholesome, "real" food. It's good for both me and them to "live a little."

    -Kerry @ City Kids Homeschooling

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me some mac & cheese! That octopus is making me laugh so hard. We totally do the thing with adding frozen peas to boxed meals, like mac & cheese and ramen. Once it has peas, it's healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Mac 'n Cheese nights sound even way healthier than ours! We usually have... frozen chicken nuggets or something with ours. No veggies. At least other times I serve Sasha just veggies. She loves them! AND Mac 'n Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed so hard because YES! Mac N' Cheese is friggin from heaven. I don't know why either but it is sooooo yummy. :) Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I'm all over that octopus! Thanks for that fab idea; also adding peas to KD! I never thought of that before; vegetable! Woot! We love us some mac and cheese at our house, too =)

    ReplyDelete