That time of year has come again. Crisp air. Gorgeous leaf colors. Pumpkin EVERYTHING. Seriously. I love pumpkin. Lattes, scones, muffins, breads, doughnuts, chai... Oh so many sweet, sweet treats to indulge my love of pumpkin. Boy was I excited to come across this tasty dish. I tweeked it a bit, and tried a few things (including leaving out the mango nectar. Don't do that.) and now it is a perfect gluten and dairy free dinner for those blustery nights. You can even leave out the chicken for a vegan option that is every bit as good.
Thai-Style Pumpkin Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
6 chicken breasts - cubed
3 garlic cloves - minced
1 tbsp ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2-4 stalks celery - diced
2-4 carrots - diced
1/2c peanut butter
1/2c mango nectar
1/2c lime juice
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2c cilantro - divided
1 can of coconut milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 green onions - minced
1/2c peanuts - chopped
Cook chicken, garlic, ginger, and red pepper in skillet. Transfer to crock pot, add celery, carrot, pumpkin, peanut butter, stock, mango nectar, lime juice, rice vinegar, and 1/4c cilantro on HIGH. In separate bowl, combine cornstarch and coconut cream, add to soup and simmer on high until thickened. When ready to eat, ladle around rice, top with cilantro and peanuts.Please take a moment to visit the blogs of our other Festival of Food participants. The links in this list will be live by the end of the day, as participants are all in different time zones.
- Jessica from Delicious Obsessions shares her recipe for Lemon Coconut Blueberry Macadamia Nut Muffins, a low-carb, low-sugar treat that won't leave you feeling guilty. You can also find Jessica on Facebook.
- Abbie at Farmer's Daughter shares a recipe for Unsweetened Cinnamon Applesauce in the slow cooker, a yummy treat that also makes the house smell amazing. You can also find Abbie on Facebook.
- Lulastic of Lulastic and the Hippy Shake shares a story of urban foraging, and the delicious recipe for the Fruit Leathers she made with the harvest! You can also find Lulastic on Facebook.
- Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama shares a super easy, fix it and forget about it Crock Pot Pumpkin Custard that tastes like warm pumpkin pie filling without the sugar and grains! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
- Bianca at the Pierogie Mama justifies why she guards her homemade applesauce from 'unauthorized' uses. You can also find Bianca on Facebook.
- Jennifer from True Confessions of a Real Mommy helps you take your love of all things pumpkin to the dinner table! A gluten free, dairy free, and vegan if you like Thai Pumpkin Soup to warm you up! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
- Crackerdog Sam guest posts at Hobo Mama with a slightly sweet, stove-popped Cracker Jack alternative. You can also find Hobo Mama talking about Crackerdog Sam on Facebook.
- Luschka at Diary of a First Child shares her foundation recipe for 'milkshakes' - coloured green smoothies - that her toddler loves to have with 'chocolate' date balls and banana 'ice cream'. You can also fine Luschka on Facebook.
- Amy at Anktangle shares a wholesome version of a decadent treat: Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars. They have a classic, no-bake cookie flavor while being gluten-free, sugar-free, and vegan. Nut-free substitutions included! You can also find Amy on Facebook.
Stay connected! Be sure to "Like" the
Festival of Food Carnival Facebook page.