Welcome to the December edition of the Simply Living Blog Carnival - Gift Giving cohosted by Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children and Laura at Authentic Parenting. This month, we write about what taking sthe stress out of gift giving.
With my children, they always get the same ratio of items. Pajamas, something made, and they share some movies and/or video games, and one bigger gift: either a medium for each or a really big one to share. This way I can qualify each purchase I make and know exactly when my list is done. Extended family and friends get a gift if I find something that strikes me as just right for them.
Other than that, these are my rules.
Make Your Gifts
It doesn't have to be anything major. A batch of soap or bath crystals. Rice socks. One year I added a few embellishments to plain sweaters and they became a year of favorite clothing. I scour sales and usually end up at the fabric store Black Friday sales for what I need for the cheapest.
When I can't make my own, for skill or time, I find someone who can. I buy from crafty friends and small businesses.
We keep an eye out for gifts from about September on. Particularly at the end of the season for Farmer's Markets and the artisans there. I can usually knock out quite a few unique gifts this way!
Don't Worry About Quotas!
Can't think of anything to finish your gift count? Don't panic. What can you do for or with the person? Is there a museum they would enjoy? Spa? Babysitting? Maybe it is just a movie night at home. The love is in the thought, not in the thing.
- Keeping Gifts Simple - JW at True Confessions of a Real Mommy shares a few simple ways to limit gift giving and keep your holiday about the thought over the thing..
- The Mindful Holiday Giving Guide - How many times have you carefully chosen a present for someone and find you missed the mark? Zoie at TouchstoneZ identifies key ways to give mindful holiday gifts that will be truly appreciated.
- Giving Gifts that Keep Giving - At Living Peacefully with Children, Mandy shares ideas to help gift givers think outside the (gift) box with gifts that keep on giving.
- Greening the Giving Spirit - Momma Giraffe at Little Green Giraffe writes more eco-friendly Christmas wish-list for her family this year - passing on plastic and gift wrap and saying yes to memories, moments and experience.
- No Toys? : Giving Our Children Gifts that Make Memories - This year, Jacquie at My Blessings Homeschool and her husband decided to do things a little differently with gifts that will make lasting memories instead of the toys that will be lost, broken or forgotten.
- Quick and Easy DIY Gift: Flower Petal Sugar - At Authentic Parenting, Laura whips up a quick and easy last minute gift.